His & Hers Blood Orange Cocktail from Wine Country
As you all may know by now – we LOVE our seasonal California produce! And right now blood oranges are at their best!! Coincidentally… today is Valentine’s Day so we thought it would be a great (and fun) opportunity to share a "his" and "hers" seasonal cocktail recipe featuring this delectable fruit!! Grab some of those blood oranges at your local market and make these drinks tonight :-)
"Hers" Blood Orange Champagne Mule
1 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1 ounce of Tito’s Vodka
2 ounces Fever Tree Ginger Beer
2 ounces of your favorite chilled champagne for topping
Mint leaf sprig (optional)
1. Prepare a tall glass with ice
2. Juice your blood oranges and add to your glass along with the vodka
3. Slowly add the ginger beer and then top with champagne
4. Garnish with a few thin slices of blood oranges and throw in that beautiful sprig of mint!
"His" Blood Orange Whiskey Cocktail
1 ½ ounces Whiskey (we used Breckenridge Distillery)
½ ounce Amaro Nonino Quintessentia
2 ½ ounces freshly squeezed blood orange juice
¼ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ ounce agave nectar
2-3 dashes Angostura Orange Bitters
1. Juice the blood oranges and set them aside. Slice an extra blood orange in a few thin wheels to garnish your drink with :-)
2. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the whiskey, amaro, blood orange juice, lemon juice, agave nectar, and bitters. Shake until it’s nicely chilled (shouldn’t take long!).
3. Prepare a short “rocks” glass with ice – garnish with a blood orange slice. The easiest way to do this is to put the blood orange wheel in the glass and hold it on the side while you pour the ice in, that way the ice holds the blood orange wheel in place.
4. Strain and pour the mixture into the glass filled with ice. Add a straw and drink to your hearts delight.
Fun fact about blood oranges
They used to be reserved exclusively for royalty and the very privileged...! Thankfully you don't have to descend from a royal bloodline to enjoy this fruit now, but you are bound to feel a bit royal when drinking these cocktails :-)
We hope you enjoy these earth-to-table wine country drinks!